If you are looking for medicinal cannabis products, you may notice that the strains are available in three distinct groups: Indica, Sativa and Hybrid. All three produce different effects to treat a variety of symptoms. Strains can reduce pain, increase appetite and sleep, relax or invigorate the mind.
The strains are an inherent element in cannabis culture. Buyers are always asked which strain they prefer after which product recommendations are made. The strains look different, grow differently and have different effects. It is important to understand the differences to find the right strain for you.
Cannabis Indica: The Indica plant is short with broad leaves. It grows in colder climates with shorter seasons. Medicines produced from this variety have higher CBD and lower THC counts. The Indica strain increases mental and muscle relaxation; increases appetite and pleasure inducing dopamine; decreases nausea and acute pain. It is recommended for night use for those looking to unwind as it has a sedating effect.
Cannabis Sativa: The Sativa plant is taller with narrow lighter green leaves. It is more suited to warmer climates with longer seasons. Medicines made from this strain have lower CBD and higher THC counts. Sativa strains reduce anxiety and depression; treats chronic pain; increases alertness and creativity; increases sleep and appetite inducing serotonin. It is recommended for daytime use as it is more energizing with elevated cerebral effects suited to enhance physical, intellectual and social activities.
Cannabis Hybrids: Hybrids fall somewhere in between the two. Effects depend on the parent strains.
This sharp distinction on the state of mind is not known to have a consistent pattern though. Effects can vary from person to person. So how do you choose a strain for yourself?
Indica vs Sativa: Which Strain is for You?
Interestingly, the clinical effects of cannabis is not dependent on the plant structure or the size of its leaves. It’s more to do with the substances contained in the leaves: cannabinoids and terpenes. This means not all Sativas will uplift you. Neither will all Indicas sedate you.
Instead, the effects of cannabis depends on the product’s chemical profile, the consumer’s unique biology, tolerance level, quantity of dose taken and method of consumption. It is important to understand how these factors influence the effects to figure out which strain is perfect for you.
Cannabis contains over 100 different varieties of cannabinoids. Of these cannabinoids, CBD and THC are the two most common substances that are known to drive the therapeutic and recreational effects.
- THC: THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) induces appetite, instills heightened awareness and relieves pain and nausea.
- CBD: CBD (cannabidiol) is non-intoxicating. It alleviates pain, inflammation, anxiety and treats several ailments.
Select Levels of THC and CBD Strains, Not Indica or Sativa Strains
- THC and CBD strains dictates the level of pain, depression, insomnia or anxiety to be treated. Start with THC strain in low dose and study the effects.
- If THC dominant strains increase your anxiety, try a strain with higher levels of CBD. CBD dominant strains contain smaller amounts of THC. It is used for patients who are highly sensitive to THC or those who need relief without sedation.
- Balanced THC/CBD levels treat symptoms with a mild level of elation. For first-time recreational users, this strain is best suited to experience the signature high.
- Terpenes is produced by plants and fruits such as lavender flowers, oranges, peppers and cannabis. It is used in aromatherapy oils to relax and stimulate the body and mind.
- Terpenes are also responsible for driving sedating or energizing effects. There are many varieties of terpenes in cannabis. The effect if cannabis terpenes depends on the type. Pinene for instance alerts the mind while Linalool relaxes.
- Smell the strains before you purchase to familiarize yourself. Choose aromas that appeal to you until you are further guided by your knowledge.
- If you wish to enjoy the effects for a longer time, consider low dose edibles.
If you are seeking a short term experience, use inhalation methods or a tincture.
My Green Solution, Vancouver
My Green Solution has a long history in the marijuana industry and has witnessed the industry evolve. We are a nationwide mail order marijuana dispensary that strives to distribute a safe, secure, discreet delivery system for all our high quality orders.
Give us a call or contact through our website to access a wide range of grade A cannabis products from medicinal oils, tinctures, recreational flowers, extracts, and edibles delivered straight to your doorstep.